Follow my Instagram: @jesserice1995
CD Projekt Red’s new cyberpunk RPG may still be quite a wait away, but you can play these games in the meantime! Note these are not in any particular order with the exception being the best is last.
- RUINER – This game has a cool art style and will scratch your cyberpunk aesthetic itch. The twin stick shooter admittedly does not have the best game play, but the look is worth checking out. Available on Xbox Gamepass if you are a subscriber, which is a plus. $20 otherwise.
- Observer – This is a cyberpunk horror game, similar to Outlast in that you have no defense other than running and hiding. It’s got a great cyberpunk look and pretty good writing. It’s also available on Gamepass. $30 if you want to buy it outright.
- System Shock 2 – This is a fantastic classic. System Shock 2 is the cyberpunk’s essential game! Set in the future aboard a desolate space ship, this shooter RPG is a perfect distraction while you wait on Cyberpunk 2077. It is an old game but if you can look past a few outdated systems and graphics then it’s held up pretty well. $9.99.
- Dex – This game is seriously impressive. Dex is a 2D action RPG set in a dystopian future similar to Blade Runner. The game is way more in depth than it looks, with tons of quests, skills, and items. The cherry on top is it’s cool art style and soundtrack. This game is definitely the closest experience to Cyberpunk 2077 on this list. If you don’t get any other games on this list, get this one! $19.99.
If none of those games do anything for ya, you may wanna check out some of the following. Not all of these games would really be considered cyberpunk per se, but they are at least science fiction, futuristic, and/or involve hacking. Again, these are not in any particular order.
- Prey (2017)
- Watch Dogs and Watch Dogs 2
- Detroit: Become Human
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst
- Beneath a Steel Sky
- Perfect Dark
- 2064: Read Only Memories
- Snatcher (Expensive and hard to get, but worth a mention)
- Metal Gear Series
There you have it. That should be enough to keep you busy until Cyberpunk 2077 is out.
It’s worth noting that there is a pretty obvious omission in Deus Ex. The reason it is not on this list is simply because I have never played any game in the series, and therefore cannot recommend it. I have seen it, and it certainly looks like it would fit on this list, but I cannot say for sure.